Thursday, November 7, 2013

Moissanite???

What?
Moissanite Black Diamond pictured in front
I have recently been seeing Moissanite Jewelry more and more often-Well, on the shopping networks. I have yet to see it in a Jewelry Store, but that does not mean anything. There are a few Gems that I LOVE that I have not seen in stores. Not because they are not Beautiful and Desirable, but mostly because the general public simply does not know about them yet. YET

So, just like any other time that I don’t know something...I google it. I must have been tired because I could not find anything. Maybe because I was looking for healing properties of Moissanite. No matter the reason, I just could not find that much info.

Well, the other day-after my posting about Black Diamonds-I was looking online for one for myself. I found a listing for a 10+ct Gem...AND AFFORDABLE-if not cheap.
I bought it, only to find out that in the fine print it was a “Black Moissanite Diamond”.
Now I HAVE to find out what Moissanite is...

A VERY Rare Gemstome found amongst meteor craters mostly-like the Black Diamonds, from OuterSpace. Discovered in 1893 in Arizona, and named for Henri Moissan, usually only small crystals were found-not really large enough for any practical applications...Until years later when laboratories were able to synthesize the mineral.

Because of it’s similarity to Diamonds in terms of hardness, mostly just in industrial applications was it used.
Then in 1995, some larger material was sent to Diamond Cutters.
What was found is that Moissanite when faceted and polished is VERY Similar to a Diamond-but with MORE SPARKLE.
In 1998, Moissanite emerged on the Jewelry scene as a Diamond simulant.  Because it was visually indistinguishable to Natural Diamonds-except for that better Sparkle...
Because of today’s economy and Market, Diamond prices being what they are, many people are opting for Moissanite Jewelry. More affordable, every bit as Beautiful, AND more ethical.

2 comments:

  1. That's very interesting!! I've seen all the shopping channels with this and had no clue what it was either!! I'm sure you will make wonderful use of your new find!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what it will become-maybe a Ring-but I am glad I could help.

    ReplyDelete