Wednesday, September 7, 2011

SRI LANKA-“Old Fathiful” of Sapphire Production

I had started researching Famous Large Sapphires-I Love it when “research” involves reading about intrigue, drama and History.  What I soon discovered was that many of the Largest Sapphires known to Man today originated in Sri Lanka.

I remember hearing the term “Ceylon Sapphires”-and, yes, I realize I am dating myself-and thought it only referred to the Color of the Stone. They were always so Beautiful.

Bright.
Princess Di’s Engagement Ring

Vibrant.

Fiery.

I did not realize that it referred to the origin of the Stone itself. Ceylon becoming Sri Lanka in 1972.

OK. So back to Large Sapphires.
I found that the largest piece of Rough material, a WHOPPING 42 pounds, was found in Sri Lanka.
The Blue Giant of the Orient, 466 ct
The Logan Blue Sapphire, 422.99 ct
The Blue Belle of the Orient, 400 ct
ALL found in Sri Lanka.
So these are all Famous Stones that have been known for quite awhile, but it got me to thinking about where Today’s Sapphires are coming from.
This is what I found...

Kasmir, which has historically produced MANY large Noteworthy Gems, has not been producing anything since the 1920’s.

Burma has decided to focus on the more plentiful Rubies that abound there.

Pallin, in Cambodia, is just too troubled of a region to rely upon for Gem production.

Thailand’s Katchanaburi region has been mined out.

And, finally Madagascar, which was promising.  The miners have been asked to leave...WHY?

That leaves Sri Lanka. And with technological advances, a lot of the sapphire material that in the past was considered not worth much of anything, can now be utilized, Gem-Quality Valuable Sapphire.
Keeping former Ceylon, the “Old Faithful” of Sapphire Production...Steady and Reliable.

No comments:

Post a Comment