Monday, April 30, 2012

I Was Asked...

I was asked the other day what my Favorite Gem to work with was.

It took me back a bit because I have never really thought about it. I always said that I LOVE ALL Gemstones, but once I started thinking about it, I tend to only work with stones that I am attracted to initially. That does not mean I choose Amethyst over Citrine, or Citrine over Amethyst, I choose what I am attracted to...

Tiny Ioloite-find me on Facebook
Two months ago I went on an Iolite kick. Last month I purchased, and wanted to work with, only Pearls.


I do only buy Stones when there is something about them that attracts me to them. That much is true. Rarely do I go out and looking for a specific stone unless it is by special request by a customer. Therefore, I do love all the Stones I work with.

Sometimes the Stones are easy to work with-I know exactly what setting I am going to use them in and everything works out on the First Chance.
Biwa-Style Pearls at DeAndreaDesigns.com
Sometimes I have to “deconstruct” a couple of times before I get it to the point that I am satisfied.  AND...
Sometimes the Stone sits and sits until a new setting emerges from the depths of my creativity pool.

I have found, however, that even with settings that I have used many times in the past when I place a different stone into one, the LOOK/FEEL/ENERGY of the Piece is changes-sometimes dramatically.
So I cannot say I love working with one stone over another, not really.  I just work with the Stones that feel right when they feel right.

At the end of the day I do tend to be more attracted to Colored Gems.

BUT...
When I think of my Wedding Ring, or look at the Stones that I have purchased for ME, there are THREE Stones that stand out.

Tsavorite Garnet and Champagne Diamonds-for my Wedding Ring. 2 Rows of 2mm Princess cut Tsavorite and 1 Row of 2mm Princess Cut Diamonds set into Platinum.

And Mexican Fire Opals.


No comments:

Post a Comment